Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Breathe

I learned something in an Enneagram training last fall that came blowing back to me this week.  I had been working on, and struggling with a work project.  One of those that is challenging, and gives you headache because you have to think so hard, you know?


I was also up against the deadline (have I mentioned I'm sometimes a procrastinator?).  I was working on it over the weekend, then, as it always happens, Charlie's basketball team won their game (does it make me a bad mother that I was hoping they'd lose?) - so the tournament an hour away went from a couple of hours on Sunday to almost the whole day.


My anxiety went up and I realize now (My family, I'm sure realized on Sunday) that I was whipping myself into a bit of a frenzy worrying about getting it all done on time, but in particular, doing it well.  I can sometimes get into a spiral of being sure I'm not doing my best work which, surprise, surprise, keeps me from doing my best work.  It's  tough one for me because producing quality work is at my core and I hate the idea of submitting something less that what I'm capable of - it doesn't have to be perfect, but I do need to feel good about it.


So, what came back to me that helped as I was up way too late on Sunday night finishing up, was an idea of "breathing myself back down".  Dr. David Daniels who was the facilitator of the Enneagram class I took at Loyola in November, talked about this concept as a tool to help de-escalate any conflict situation.  I know it's not rocket science, but I have to say I've found it to be an incredibly helpful.  It's easy to practice - stop, take 5 really big breaths and bring your anxiety into your conscience.  Then take a moment to quiet yourself and re-group. You can also do it as many times as you need - take it from me, you might have to do it more than once!


It works for me, and helped me get back into a productive mode to finish my project - which I did.  It has also worked well as a tool with my coaching clients.  


I know it may just be another form of meditation, but for me the words and physical act of stopping and doing it, is powerful.


That's my bit of wisdom for the day - so next time you are feeling a bit anxious - try it.  Just Breathe yourself back down.  Hmmmm.  Now, I wonder if it works with teenagers?

1 comment:

  1. Maggie: Thanks for this posting. Am reading it at 5 a.m. because I could not sleep - thinking about work and a few other things. Just breathe - so simle but it really does help. You are a wise woman.

    ReplyDelete