Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Check it Out

I am a huge library fan.  I love to read and for years growing up, I had access to free reads because my parents owned a bookstore. But alas, when they sold it, many years ago, I realized that my book habit was becoming expensive.


Since then, I have loved the ritual of going to the library, getting my card and checking out whatever I please.  I check out books, often knowing I won't read them all or only want one recipe, knitting pattern etc.., I check out books on tape for car rides, I check out movies and CD's too.  Now I can even download books to my computer!


I have lived in many places since those high school days, and going to the library as a card holder has been the sure sign that I was home - even if I wasn't going to be there for long.  


In recent years, I've become an avid user of the online offerings at the library.  I go through the new bestseller lists and identify which books I want and then go online at the library and get on the list - and lo and behold, they send me an email saying the books are ready to be checked out for three weeks.  I also love the databases that are available online - when Jack forgot his passwords from school the other day, he just jumped online at the public library site and had all the information he needed at his fingertips.


I am sorry to see the hours of the libraries being reduced due to budget cuts, I think it's such a great place to study for kids and adults alike, I am happy to have my taxes go to support the on-going health of the nation's libraries and will continue to let my legislators know that.


So, if you aren't a regular, check it out - you'll be glad you did

1 comment: