Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

It's Ash Wednesday.  Now, you know, I'm not too versed in the religious significance of all of these Catholic days, but I have to say I like the idea of Lent.


I know it is a time of prayer, denial and reflection that leads up to the Christian holiday of Easter.  I remember it most clearly from my childhood with the no meat on Friday rule that we followed for many years.  We used to have eggs on Fridays, because, as my mother pointed out "Lent is not a time to have something special on Friday like shrimp, it's a time to sacrifice" 


I'm not so worried about following the no meat rule anymore, but I do connect with the idea of reflection.  Rather than give up something silly, I will commit to taking time to pray and reflect every day and to do something each day, however small, to impact someone else's life in a positive way.

1 comment:

  1. and that is what it is really about..have you seen Sacred Space? look it up on the internet..Irish Jesuits

    ReplyDelete