Sunday, December 13, 2009

EEK - I've Come Undone

There are very few things that completely throw me.  I like to think of myself as fairly unflappable, but this morning I saw a mouse run under my stove.  I swore, jumped and screamed, not necessarily in that order.


I hate rodents in general, but I particularly hate mice and I completely hate the idea that there is one in my house.  - I know, there are probably more than one, but I am going to continue to rationalize that one brave, lonely mouse made it's way into my house by mistake on his way to a field somewhere.


I rushed to the hardware store to buy traps and anything else that might make it go away.  The dog, is no help - in fact she is afraid of anything that moves.  


I, of course, googled "getting rid of a mouse" and found about a million websites that talk about sealing up any small entrances to the house - that doesn't help me much now does it?  They also talked about cleaning the house which I took personal offense to because my house is clean - not obsessively clean, but certainly keep critters out clean.


As you can probably tell from reading this, I may be overreacting, but this has almost taken me down.  Who knows - maybe I had a run in with a rodent in another life.


I will defeat this mouse though - I refuse to let it take over my life.  The men in my house and I will be strong in our pursuit of the mouse and humanely put it out of my house - and all of our misery.


Any mouse hunting ideas are welcome, and I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend the Victor humane kill traps. They're little black boxes, running on batteries, that the mouse walks in to (because it wants the peanut butter or cheese or whatever you've decided to hide inside) and after a few inches when it's almost reached that delicious treat... it steps on a small metal plate that electrocutes it instantly. No suffer. Quick jolt and they're dead.

    Not only that, the box has a small light on the top and ONLY when you've caught a mouse will it blink. This way, when you're going to dispose of the mouse, you don't even have to look at it. You know there is one in there, you just flip the lid and tip it into a bag and quickly throw that bag in the trash.

    We have them [the traps and the mice] because we just live in an old house. It happens. It's cold and they want to be warm and I want to kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea - I'll hit Frattelones today!

    ReplyDelete