Friday, January 15, 2010

Collective Wisdom - To Kindle or not to Kindle?

I love a bookstore.  I had a few minutes between meetings today so I headed into the Border's store in St. Paul.  I could spend hours there just browsing.  I've never been a real shopper, but bookstores are the exception for me.  Perhaps it is from all those years working in my parent's bookstore in Rye, NY, but I have to say it feels like home when I'm in any type of bookstore.


I also love to read and I'm fairly techno-savvy, so I'm considering purchasing a Kindle.  A Kindle is a wireless reading device, sold by Amazon.com.  There are other similar versions out there, but the idea is the same.  One can download an entire book, magazine, newspaper or other media on to the Kindle and only have to carry one device rather than toting a bunch of books along.


I must admit I'm tempted - I like the idea of having all the information in one place and the ability to throw it in my bag and read whatever suits my fancy while I'm traveling or waiting the innumerable hours in between meetings, sporting events etc..  


But, I'm torn - I thoroughly enjoy holding a book, being able to see how many pages I've read, and collecting my favorites on my bookshelf.  I also feel a little guilty potentially being a part of the demise of the independent bookstore. In  addition, I can see the potential for a little "download" problem - I think the books are fairly inexpensive, but I'm sure it can add up fast.


Anyway - what's your opinion?  Are you a traditionalist vehemently opposed to the technology?  Are you a Kindle user and you wouldn't give it up?


Let me know your thoughts - I'd love to hear.

3 comments:

  1. iam SO a traditionalist!! i would miss the physical book feeling so much..a pox on kindle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have friends with Kindles or the equivalent. One is a sailor and she says having the Kindle has decreased the amount of stuff to haul to her sailboat. Another travels a lot and it really frees up a lot of space. I don't think hard copy books will go away but right now I don't have enough time to read all the books I want to read much less download 25 more. I love the technology but am going to wait a bit. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...I don't know much about the Kindles and I am not as much of a reader as I would like to be, but I would have to stick with the traditional books. I hate reading anything that is more than a page online. Hurts my eyes and gives me a headache!

    ReplyDelete