Monday, January 11, 2010

Comfort Food

As this weekend of family, friends, support and grief wound down today, I realized that the term "comfort food" had taken on a new meaning for me.


I've always joked about the importance of comfort food - enjoying favorite and/or traditional foods during times of stress or need. I've certainly done my share of eating a little too much "comfort" even in happy times.


This weekend, however, I experienced the capacity of the food as a part of this process.  Many family members and friends dropped off food at our houses as the Kenney family was caring for Kathy in her final weeks.  Those dishes were both practical and relational.  The food itself was a godsend for those busy days, and the love and support they represented was readily felt in every salad, casserole, ham sandwich and brownie.


Bill and I enjoyed hosting the dinner on Saturday night and I marveled at the way the food connected all the pieces.  From my fabulous friends swooping in to help make enchiladas, to every beautifully prepared dish that arrived to be shared, the "comfort" of the food was fully present.


As I stood back and listened to the house full of talking, laughter and occasional tears, I truly experienced how food can, in fact, provide true comfort.

1 comment:

  1. Maggie: Thanks for this post. I so wish I could have been there for you and Bill. Pat

    ReplyDelete