Monday, January 25, 2010

Procrastination....is Making Me Wait

OK, so I admit it.  I'm a seasoned procrastinator.  I always have been and I'm not sure if I work better when I add a little pressure in the mix (at least that's what I tell myself), or if it's some other issue.


Today is a great example.  I have a project due next week and continued work to do to complete it.  So am I working hard on it right now before I have to head to a meeting today?  No, I'm writing this blog, and then I have to switch the laundry and then...I'll get to work.  I know I will get the project done, I always do. But I do resist the idea of getting it started really early in the process for some reason.  I also have time, it is after all due next week, not tomorrow.


So why is it so hard to get started?  In my normal procrastination mode, I would start in earnest on Wednesday, but feel pressure and angst all week - so why not just start today?


I'm guessing it's more complicated than simple laziness, but maybe not. I know I work well under pressure and I've always been successful creating a bit of competition between me and the deadline.


I wonder is it too late at almost 50 to break this kind of habit? Can I just focus and chunk out the work and get started?  It is what I tell my kids to do - so in my quest of starting habits, maybe I can break one too.


So I will start today - I'll get the project outlined and put steps in writing that I will complete each day, and even though I may end up with a similar product, I'll see how it feels to do it differently - It does seem like life creates enough pressure without adding to it myself - who knows, I may enter my 50's with a whole new attitude.







2 comments:

  1. I absolutely relate with you. I always say I will start early but it is always pushing against the deadline with any project. My big thing is that I feel that if I get a bunch of little things done I can then get started on the big project - sort of like clearing your desk to have room to work. It gives me a sense of accomplishment to do little things first but then I end up burning the midnight oil. And don't even get me started on checking emails while I am working on a project that is an instant side track guaranteed. I am rooting for you to change this habit as I try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am a big procrastinator. Right now my method of combatting that is to just be in action, but I think there must be a better way. Someone sent me a link to a (sort of) personal productivity system that seems very cool: http://personalkanban.com/personal-kanban-101/ I may just have to get myself a big whiteboard!

    ReplyDelete