Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Family Favorite Dinner - Thai Chicken


Tonight was one of those rare occasions that everyone loved the dinner.  Those of us who make the meal night after night know that the magic doesn't happen very often.  My friend Carol mentioned that she had made a coconut chicken that her family loved and I remembered seeing one in a cookbook I had, so I dug it out.


Now don't get me wrong - my family eats pretty much everything that is put in front of them with little complaint.  Everyone gets to have a food or two they really don't like - Charlie doesn't like Chili, Jack hates eggs and Bill doesn't really like potatoes (which by the way I think is against some kind of Irish code - who doesn't love a good spud?).  Other than those considerations, I cook to my heart's content; pretty confident the meal will at least get eaten, and usually enjoyed.


But still, the unanimous "I Love This" and the complete plate and pan cleaning is rare - so, of course, I thought I'd share the recipe.


This is my adaptation of a Weight Watcher's recipe entitled "Thai Coconut Chicken" God forbid I should just follow the recipe right?


Ingredients:


2 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cut into 1 inch pieces
1 onion, thinly sliced
A little salt & pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
A hunk of fresh ginger, grated
A spoonful of light brown sugar
1/2 Teaspoon red curry paste (available in most grocery stores, asian section) - or to taste - this is fairly spicy so you may want to start with less and add
1 Teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup green beans - frozen work fine
1/2 can coconut milk - use the regular, unsweetened, not the light - Add more if necessary to get the consistency of sauce you want
1 Teaspoon fish sauce (also available in asian section  - or just skip is fine)
1/4 cup fresh basil (or use a Tablespoon of dried)
Rice - brown (which my kids won't touch) or white


Heat oil in a large skillet, add chicken, sprinkle with salt & pepper, cook until done - about 5 minutes, transfer to plate


Heat second Tablespoon of oil, add onion and saute until softened - about 5 minutes, add garlic & ginger, saute for 1 minute


Stir in sugar, curry paste and cumin cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. 


Add green beans, coconut mile and fish sauce, bring to boil. 


Reduce the heat, and cook until beans are tender - about 3 minutes


Add the chicken & basil, heat through, serve with rice.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic Maggie! We'll have to try it. And I've got my own procrastination issues (as mentioned in your last post)...I'd love to chat about it during a RUN this Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drats Debi-

    I hurt my hip, so am not running until I see the doctor on Friday - hopefully next week though

    ReplyDelete