Tuesday, January 19, 2010

So Long Spenser


I was saddened to hear of the death of Robert Parker today.  I may have mentioned this before, but I have read every Spenser novel by Parker the latest one over Christmas break.  I started reading them in the 1970's in my parent's bookstore - The Village Book Shop in Rye, NY, and it became a tradition for me.


I loved the characters - not great literature, but a feeling of coming home when I read each story.  I could often predict the words each character would utter which added to the sense that I knew them.  The books were clean and often funny and his main female character, Susan, was strong and independent as well as adored (my kind of woman). The books were fast reads and I remember my father and I would each take a copy home before it went onto the floor so we could compare notes.


I will always have fond memories of Spenser, and respect for Robert Parker's ability to maintain a solid character and story lines for over 25 years.


Rest in Peace, Mr. Parker you've earned it.

1 comment:

  1. love this Maggie...I think I will start reading his series...you are so much fun to follow !

    ReplyDelete