Tuesday, October 27, 2009

In Her Service

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'd like to pursue a few goals as I go through this journey.  I've read here and there that if we write down our goals, we are more likely to achieve them. I think I'm adding to that, by writing them down for all to see.  I'll keep tabs on how I'm doing in this blog as I work toward the goals and I'll update my progress periodically, as well as ask for advice along the way.


This goal is about service.  I want to find and actively participate in a great volunteer activity - I'd actually like find or create an opportunity I feel passionate about and commit my time, talent and treasure.


I have always had a passion for issues around homelessness and affordable housing.  Simply put; I think every person deserves a warm, dry, safe place to call home. Many too many people in our own back yards don't have that luxury.  I have volunteered in many shelters, food kitchens etc.. , but I can't honestly say that I have put in the time or energy I know I'm capable of to try to make even a small difference.


So, this is the year.  I will spend time actively looking for that opportunity. It may be more than one; I'd like to do some hands on work as well as either some legislative or strategic work in the area of homelessness and/or affordable housing.  Ideally, I'll be well into the project by the time this blog ends.


I think it is always easy to have good intentions, but they have not consistently turned into action for me.  I believe it's time to make the time.


I'd love any thoughts or suggestions along the way - I know some people who work in this arena in the Twin Cities, but I'm always open to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment