Tuesday, October 20, 2009

You Learn Something New Every Day - Champ or Chomp?

Another new category I will use throughout this year is "You Learn Something New Everyday".  My father used to say that, and although as a teenager, I didn't think he knew ANYTHING, I have to say that I'm beginning to believe it.  


I love to learn new things; from completely useless facts to important and useful knowledge.  So I will embrace this category and actively try to learn something new every day.  Now with yesterday's post about being a member of the "Right" family, I won't be able to use my knowledge as often, but it never hurts to have it.





So on to the knowledge.  I learned this weekend from my friend Brad, that the saying was originally "Champing at the Bit" (meaning impatience or frustration when delayed), not "Chomping at the Bit"  as we hear more often.  Who knew? I have to admit that I have been using "Chomp" for 49+ years.  The word Champ means to chew noisily.


So me being me, I looked it up online to see if I could figure out how it evolved. According to Wiktionary - Champ was the original use.  Chomp was introduced later and is apparently acceptable as well.  


So, today, I share a little known fact (thank you Brad) that I will plan to use a few times in the coming weeks.  Going forward, I will share more learnings, some small and hopefully some large.  It will be fun to keep track of how many things I learn and see if my father was right! 


What have you learned today?

No comments:

Post a Comment