Saturday, October 10, 2009

Politics & Religion on a Saturday Morning (sort of)


Good Morning-

I said I would talk about things I love and things I hate so here goes. I absolutely LOVE the farmers market. It gives me such pleasure to visit the St. Paul Farmer's almost every Saturday Morning. I try to buy most of the produce and meat that our family eats from one of the fabulous vendors at the Market. I'm not great at it yet, but I'm trying to get better. It makes me happy every time I go - honestly, it's a religious experience for me.

I saw a movie earlier this year called Fresh a terrific documentary about supporting community growers that I would recommend to anyone. The movie really made an impact on me and I realized how easy it is for one person to make a small difference - the double bonus, of course, it we all eat better.

I know I am lucky to live in a city with such great farmer's markets - I'm partial to St. Paul, but the Minneapolis markets is terrific too. I also love the Midtown Market, on Lake Street in Minneapolis - great produce and meat on Saturday mornings. I love the meat from Chase Brook Natural Farm - wonderful chicken, beef and pork from a local farm.

In general, I've found that although it's a little more work to get there, the food is better and less expensive than the grocery store, particularly since I'm less tempted to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need.

I'd love to hear if you have any great ideas or recommendations on what you like about eating locally. Please share any websites and/or locations that you've found to be helpful in this journey.

Ok - I promise my pictures will get better, but I'm excited that I not only learned how to post pictures, but web links too - I'm fairly easily entertained!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the Saint Paul market as well. Do you ever go to the one on Friday mornings, at Signal Hills? A lot of the same vendors from downtown.

    We (my family and I) always purchase a chicken spring roll from one of the vendors and munch on it as we shop.

    I bring $40 each week and I have more than enough veggies (we eat a LOT of them) for the week. Throw in a dozen organic eggs now and then and some organically grown meat and cheese too.

    I hate to cook, but there is something inspiring about the FM and sometimes I'll get a big pot of soup going. It's best to eat veggies when they're raw anyway.....

    ReplyDelete