Saturday, October 3, 2009

May the Road Rise to Meet You, Gentlemen

I have been thinking over the last few weeks about how I would begin this blog - the journey to my 50th birthday. I thought I'd take a little time to talk about my life, throw out some ideas about this mid-life year and invite people to join me.

That all changed on Friday - when I got a call with sad, sad news. Bill's cousin and my sweet friend, Paul Kenney, 42 had died unexpectedly. The call immediately brought me back to one I received in December of 1992 that my brother, Andy Kilpatrick, 36 had also died unexpectedly.

Paul and Andy, though they never knew each other, had incredibly similar lives - both were smart, sweet, funny and had more personality and charisma than they knew what to do with. Both also fought the demons of addiction that ultimately took their lives. Having loved them both, I waiver between a sadness that makes it hard to breathe, and frankly being a little pissed off. And then I remember, that I will never be able to understand how hard it must be to fight that battle, and I'm back to just being sad.

I am glad that they are not in pain anymore, and I take some comfort in thinking about them in a better place, meeting each other, sharing stories and laughing in that infectious way that made everyone in the room smile.

Rest in Peace, Paul & Andy.

My prayers are with everyone who loves you.



4 comments:

  1. Maggie...this is beautiful and oh so sad. I completely forgot this week about your brother... Paul and Andy are together now and are our guardian angels watching over our families and friends. I love you ...and look forward to the year of your thoughts and feelings that you are sharing with us. love, Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie,
    You start your blog with the ebb and flow of life.My thoughts are with both you and Bill as this will be a tough week for your family. As my Mom always said " better days are ahead", not that helpful but true. I also look forward to your new adventure as this is the first blog I"ll be following. I already have questions like, how did they come up with the word blog?Must check it out.... bye. Much good energy sent your way_ Love Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a beautiful writer. Much better than that little Julia who tried but failed to follow her heroine Julia. Can't wait for the journey into your 51st year. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. I can truly understand the whirl of emotions that those of who love addicts go through as we watch them, helpless, as they destroy themselves. I miss you very much and hope my heel will heal so that I can join you on the running trail very soon. In the meantime I will follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete