Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Try More Tri's

My second goal for this year, in keeping with the health theme of yesterday, is to do at least 4 Triathlons. I did my first Triathlon - the YWCA Women's Triathlon, in August of this year. It was an amazing experience. I highly recommend it to anyone doing a triathlon, especially for the first time. It was truly inspirational to be passed on the bike portion (and I was passed by almost everyone) and see that many of the women were in their 50's, 60's and beyond.

I spent many hours prior to the event talking myself out of it. I didn't start that 12 week training program until about 8 weeks out, I had a slow bike, I could drown, It might rain etc... I knew it would be hard, and it was, but what I didn't realize, was how much fun it would be.

Now lest you think I am a dedicated triathlete, I promptly took about 2 months off of training after completing the race in August. Shades of my post yesterday, but now I'm ready to get back in the game.

I got a fabulous new bike for my birthday/anniversary from Bill & the boys, so I running out of excuses. I will continue to do some spinning, swimming & running over the winter so I can be ready to get back on the road for Spring. I plan to choose one triathlon a month for June - September of 2010. I do hope that putting these goals in writing for all to see will help me accomplish them.

Because sometimes I like to read about things more than actually do them (this will be the subject of a few posts to come, no doubt), I found a great book called the Slow, Fat, Triathlete by Jayne Williams. It's a smart, funny read for anyone thinking about entering this wacky sport.

I hope that actually putting these goals in writing for all to see will help me accomplish them. I am trying to keep them reasonable and I pray that it will be fun to look back at the end of the year to see how I've done.

Again - please feel free to share your experiences here - what's worked for you to stick to a training program? What goals are you working toward as you take your journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment