Monday, November 2, 2009

A Day to Remember

Today is All Souls Day.  I wasn't really sure what All Souls Day was, except a day to remember the dead.  So, of course I Googled it. I was right, All Souls Day is, in fact, a day of remembrance for friends and loved ones who have died. (There was a bunch of stuff in there about purgatory too, but I'm pretty sure I don't have to be concerned about that.)  


Like all of us on this journey through middle age, many wonderful people who have touched my life have passed away over the years. I remember all of them, but there are two people in particular I'd like to write about today.


My father, Frank Edmonston Kilpatrick, died on December 31, 1992 from complications of Alzheimer's disease.  He was 68 years old. Dad was a smart, funny, kind man who I miss more and more as my kids get older.  I know he would have loved getting to know them.  I can see little bits of him in both Jack & Charlie - in athletics, quick sense of humor and love of airplanes.


My brother, Andrew Edmonston Kilpatrick, died unexpectedly, on December 9, 1992.  He was 36 years old.  As I mentioned in my first post, Andy struggled with the demons of addiction for most of his short life.  I have a better understanding, as I get older, of how difficult that must have been for him.  I will always remember his sharp wit and sense of fun, and I also see some of him in my boys - particularly his competitive game playing. (Let's just say that Jeopardy should just never be played by anyone with Kilpatrick blood)


So as I said, I remember both of them every day, but it's nice to remember them a bit more today.



1 comment:

  1. Maggie: I'm glad I read your post tonight. I could not relate to All Saints Day yesterday nor the Mexican "Day of the Dead." All Souls is just right. I am remembering my Dad and brother also - and believe their love lives on. Pat

    ReplyDelete