Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The "Joy" of Thanksgiving Dinner




I love to cook and tomorrow (Thanksgiving) is the like the world series for cooks.  Of course, the menu is pretty fixed, but I can still put my personal spin on the classic dishes - like greek yogurt in the mashed potatoes and grapefruit and pomegranates in the salad.


I never, however, can remember how long to cook the turkey.  Somehow, I overcook it or find that's it raw when I go to carve it - a little embarrassing in front of the in-laws!


This is where the old favorite - The Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer comes in.  My mother gave me a copy of the Joy of Cooking that looks like the one in the picture years ago.  It's not a first edition, but it's pretty close and it has become the go to resource for all those basic cooking questions like how long do you cook the turkey.


The Joy of Cooking is a great resource for anyone.  I give it to people who love to cook and people who never cook unless they have to. 


I have a little obsession with cookbooks and have way too many on my shelves, but if I had to give up all but one, this would be the one I'd keep.  Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up my library of cookbooks lightly, but I'm more relaxed as a cook knowing I have the Joy of Cooking ready and able to answer my last minute questions, that somehow I think I should know.


The answer for turkey, by the way is: at a 325 oven, for an unstuffed turkey, you want to look at 10 - 12 minutes a pound, but the real key is testing with a thermometer - 175 to 180 degrees at the thickest part of the thigh.


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment