Thursday, November 19, 2009

Take Care

I've been interested to see the new recommendations on mammograms in the news this week.  I'm not sure I agree with them (based on my vast medical experience, of course).  But I do see them as a reminder that we, women of a certain age, need to take charge of our health.  


I know the new mammogram guidelines are aimed at younger women, but it brought up for me the number of conversations I've had over the years with friends, and myself sometimes, about how busy we are, how we have too much going on to schedule that mammogram or other preventative health measure.  It almost seems like a badge of honor not to pursue the care.  Somehow we are too tough, or practical or we don't want to seem whiny.


As women, or maybe just in my case, I think we are more focused on our kids, partner or other family member getting the preventive healthcare they need and it's easy to procrastinate ours.  Somehow it's more fun to talk about doing it than actually doing it.


I think it's time to take action - just schedule the mammogram, blood test or whatever we need to take care of ourselves and know that in taking care of ourselves, we are taking care of those we love.


I know it can be easier said than done, but I'm hoping it makes sense - Any thoughts or ideas on what's worked for you?

1 comment:

  1. this is a really good daily thought...everyone..take notice

    ReplyDelete