Sunday, November 29, 2009

An Old Friend



We had a wonderful, relaxing weekend at the cabin after Thanksgiving.  I spent about 4 hours on Saturday reading the newest Spenser novel - The Professional, by Robert Parker.  I realized that I have been reading the Spenser novels since 1973 when I read the Godwolf Manuscript.


My parents owned a bookstore when I was young, and I remember racing my father to the new Spenser novels as soon as they came into the store.  It feels like finding an old friend when I read these books.  


They are not great literature, and are certainly fast reads, but they bring back great memories of that bookstore - The Village Bookshop in Rye, NY and all those days of hard work and great books.  I will continue to read them as soon as they come out and enjoy going back in time for a few hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment