Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Favorite Things - Greek Yogurt


I love greek yogurt.  It is truly one of my favorite things and I eat it almost everyday.  I discovered greek yogurt a few years ago when I was making tzatziki sauce (a greek speciality made with yogurt, cucumber & garlic). I found the yogurt rich, creamy and incredibly tasty - even without sugar or added flavors.


Since then, I've incorporated it into my daily, dairy needs.  I love it plain, with granola or with fruit.  I add it to mashed potatoes, salad dressings and sauces that call for sour cream or regular yogurt.  I have also found some flavored small greek yogurts, that I enjoy as a snack.  One of the amazing advantages of this yogurt, is that is has a ton of protein.  A 5 ounce serving has upwards of 10 grams of protein, so if you are trying to eat more protein, or balance your carbs with protein, this is a great way to do it.


My favorite greek yogurt is from Trader Joe's.  They have full fat, 2% (my pick) and non-fat.  Their price is also the best from what I've seen.  I also like the Fage brand and the Oikos brand.  They can be pricier, but worth the splurge in my opinion.


As the old commerical used to say "try it you'll like it"

1 comment: