Thursday, November 12, 2009

Making my Point

I almost can't believe I'm saying this out loud, but I joined Weight Watchers again last night.  Now, I'm an experienced Weight Watcher - I can count points in my sleep.  I think the problem has been that I should have counted more and eaten less - but today is a new day - right?


I re-joined because it has worked for me in the past, and I hope if I focus, it can work for me again.  I also went back because I finally found a great group.  The Wednesday night Weight Watchers group at the Midtown YWCA in Minneapolis is an eclectic, supportive, successful group that I enjoy being a part of.  The leader, Diane, is funny and real - not one of those annoying, super skinny, leaders who make me want to run screaming in another direction.


I also know that I have gone down this road before, with less than sustained success, so I'm hoping that by writing it down and bearing my soul a bit here, I might be motivated to continue.  I will keep a realistic attitude and try to be kind to myself in the process.  I also promise not to bore you with the details, but will update periodically on my progress.


Any other Weight Watchers out there with experiences, tips or ideas to share - feel free to weigh in!

4 comments:

  1. I've been down that road before as well, more times than I want to count, but I am having success this time. Finally. Finding a good group and a good leader seems like the key. I would be happy to share tips and ideas once you start running on Saturdays again :)

    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. i teach a behavior modification class..i think that i will add a section on "say it out loud" what a good idea... thanks maggie mhk

    ReplyDelete
  3. You joined the right meeting, assuming you have a certain level of self-motivation that can be sustained through the fact that a lot of people in that room are rollercoaster maintaining.

    Gain gain gain, lose lose lose, gain, lose, gain, lose.

    You have to decide that you want to be in that meeting as a lifetime member (not a lifetime loser) and take the journey seriously.

    I'm more trying to convince myself than you :o)

    Also, cook. A lot. It keeps you busy and keeps food exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading "The End of Overeating" by David Kessler and I'd highly recommend it. For me to create an awareness of what the food industry's intention for me to eat is an enormous help. And, the understanding of the pathways the brain creates to support the food that's not good for you. There's a lot of brain science through half of the book and then... huzzah!... food rehab!!! (Rumor has it that Michelle Obama is a fan of this book.)

    ReplyDelete